6- Migrate in a family or special visa

6.1- Distinguished Talent Visa

Distinguished Talent Visa

This visa is aimed at people with a distinguished talent that can be officially demonstrated via an internationally recognised record of achievement in one of the following areas:

  • a profession;
  • a sport;
  • the arts;
  • academia and research.

The Australian Immigration Department defines international achievementas:

You need to demonstrate extraordinary and remarkable abilities, be superior to others in your field and have a record of sustained achievement that is unlikely to diminish in the future. Your achievements need to be acclaimed as exceptional in any country where the relevant field is practised. The field would also need to have recognition and acceptance in Australia as well as international standing. You must demonstrate current prominence in your field.

This visa lets you live permanently in Australia. To learn more and to start your application, go to https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/124-.

6.2- Partner Visas

There are two types of visas for individuals in a relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

  • Partner - For married or de-facto partners (including same-sex relationships).
  • Intended marriage- For partners planning to get married in Australia (fiancé(e)).

For this category, a temporary visa is granted initially and only after that, a permanent one can be requested upon fulfilment of other requirements.

For further information and to start a visa application, visit http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Part.

6.3- Child and adoption visas

Child and adoption visas

The visa option to be used depends on their child's situation, including:

  • a child’s age
  • a child’s dependency status
  • if the child is in or outside of Australia.

Below you will find the visa options:

6.4- Parent visas

Parents of Australian residents may be eligible for temporary or permanent visas to live in Australia. Below you can find the requirements for this visa category:

  • you have a child who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen;
  • your child has been living in Australia lawfully for at least 2 years before you lodge your visa application;
  • you have a sponsor;
  • you meet the Balance of family test criteria and Assurance of support (*);
  • you meet health and character requirements.

In summary, a temporary visa can be obtained much quicker.

* Parents applying for a permanent visa will need to fulfill two additional requirements:

  1. Balance of family test: At least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.
  2. Assurance of support: A legal commitment from an individual or organisation to give you financial support so you do not have to rely on social security payments.

For more information on the different options of parents visa to Australia, please visit http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Pare.

6.5- Visa for other relatives

There are only two conditions in which relatives of Australian permanent residents (or citizens) are able to apply for a permanent visa because of the relation:

  • They are aged and financially dependent on a relative who lives in Australia, or;
  • Their only remaining relatives live in Australia.

This visa will require both a sponsor and Assurance of support, similarly to what was explained for permanent parent visas.

More information at http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Rela.