2- How do I start?

2.1- Intro


Excellent, you decided to go :)

With this decision in mind, you should be feeling a mixture of anxiety and fear. The willingness to take this step to improve your life is enormous, but at the same time, there is a feeling of fear and inability to make everything happen... "Where do I start?", "Will I be able to speak English?", "Will I get a job?". These are just a few of the many questions going through anyone's mind in a situation like this.

The good news is that there are dozens of ways to immigrate to Australia and everyone has a chance: Electricians, nurses, engineers, teachers ... It is definitely possible to realise your dream of moving to Australia, you just need to plan, have the dedication and courage.

2.2- The first steps

The first steps

The first step was taken: The decision to move to Australia!

Now, before anything else, how is your English? Regardless of what your goal will be in Australia, even if you wish to go there to study the language, you have to get started now!

There are hundreds of online courses where you pay less and can practice whenever you are free. There are also several free tools, which will be mentioned later in this guide.

The most important part at the outset is to plan in detail how your move to Australia will be. In the next section, under "Immigration Types", you will see that there are several ways to execute your plan, but it is important to choose the most appropriate type of visa for your specific profile.

2.3- Immigration visa pathways

Immigration visa pathways

For the purpose of getting a visa to live in Australia, review the immigration types below to determine which one is most appropriate for your current situation. We listed the types of immigration in order of ease and security in the process, from left to right, aiming at a permanent stay.

The simplest form is through visa sponsorship. If you have a professional profile of interest to an Australian company, state or territory, you can get a "sponsored" visa, that is, a company, or the government agency, signals to the immigration department that they need and approve your stay in Australia. There is also the visa option for those who are married (or de-facto relationship) to a holder of an Australian Permanent Visa.

A second simpler way is through investment and / or entrepreneurship. If you have available capital to invest in Australia, or if you have an innovative idea, it is possible to guarantee your permanent residence.

The most sought-after way is to immigrate through your profession. Australian is a large and developed country with a small population, and with that there are always open doors for more skilled workers.

If you still do not fit in any permanent visa option or simply want to move to Australia in the short term, you can enroll in some course and arrive in the country with a student visa, to only later try a different approach.

We will provide further details about each type in the next chapters.

2.4- English Exam

English Exam

The official language of Australia is English. To stay permanently, you will need, at some point, to prove your proficiency through a certification test.

In some cases (such as for English language students), you will not need this proof before you travel, but you should check this in the requirements of each visa type, which will be detailed in the next chapters.

To certify your language proficiency, you may choose to take one of these tests:

For tips on how to learn English, read the "Learning English" later on this guide.

2.5- Work/Education assessment

Work/Education assessment

Depending on the type of visa requested, it will be mandatory to present the Skills assessment, which is the recognition of your profession, in the Australian market.

In this process, you will identify the regulatory body of your profession and you will need to submit documents, such as:

  • Diploma (s)
  • School transcripts
  • Proof of work experience

The aim is that your qualifications can be assessed and compared to what is required for each profession in Australia.

Each profession has a responsible body and the application must be done directly with it. You can access the full list at http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/assessing-authorities.

2.6- Using an Immigrant Agent

Using an Immigrant Agent

Immigration agents are properly accredited professionals who charge a fee to provide the immigration consulting service, which is consisted of giving advice, analysing and submitting the paperwork related to a visa application.

It is important to note that it is completely optional to use them, but without a doubt, the investment can provide greater security in deciding which process to follow and greater peace of mind in submitting all the documentation, reducing the chances of errors and missing information.

You can start using them in an initial consultation, which is used to evaluate your chances and indicate the best process to follow. This initial consultation can last from 20 to 120 minutes and can be made by phone or Skype, costing between $100 and $500, but some agents also do it for free.

From there, you can complete the immigration process on your own, or you can hire the complete consultancy service, where the professional will be side by side with you, guiding you and helping with all paperwork and decision making.

If you want recommendations of good immigration agents in Australia, please contact us.